Through this feature we’ll share a fun maths challenge each week, as well as links to related blog posts and news stories. For all other information about Maths4us, visit www.maths4us.org.
Maths Challenge of the Week
What's the sum of 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5 + 6 + 7 + 8 + 9 and what's the trick to working it out?
Click here for answer
The sum is 45. You can work this out by multiplying the mid-oint number (in this case 5) by the last number (in this case 9). This trick works for any sequence of consecutive numbers, starting with 1.
Related Blog Posts
Related News Stories
We all use maths every day, often without even thinking about it. Improving our maths can help us with things like:
- Understanding offers in shops
- Understanding payslips, bills and forms
- Planning a journey by train or bust
- Taking or giving the right amount of medicineworking out the best mobile phone deal
To help raise awareness of the importance of maths for all of us, Maths4us will:
- Train up 8,000 Maths Champions to support other adults
- Work with technical developers, tutors and learners to produce an app for maths
- Promote existing apps and resources
- Coordinate an online numeracy assessment tool
- Develop a series of online courses on maths related subjects
- Improve the quality of teaching and learning
- Engage and enthusing people about the power, enjoyment, and importance of maths